The Butter Experience

When I started baking, my brother used to complain about a certain flavor distinct in any baked good I made: from cupcakes to even breads. It annoyed him a lot!

I am very much aware that that distinct flavor comes from the butter-wannabe-margarine I use. (Second image, Buttercup). It says in the packaging that it is indeed a "rich-tasting margarine", but hey, anything that looks like butter, I used to call butter. (Emphasis on used to). I always buy it before because it is way cheaper, half the price of the cheapest real butter in the market, plus experts said that margarine has 0% cholesterol and food tech people has already come up with 0% trans-fat margarine. Do I consider it healthier? Hmmm.. let's argue. :)

Margarine may be or may not be healthier than butter, but hey, its distinct flavor does not go well with cupcake and breads, so I ended up buying expensive butter, like Elle & Vire. Yum! My cupcakes and breads tasted better. 

I came to know about Golden Crown when I stumbled upon a blog that suggested it. It is neither butter nor margarine and according to research it is in between the two. It is made with 50% butterfat and 50% vegetable oil. I gave it a try. I expected it to be very similar to buttercup but to my surprise, everything about it screamed butter: from the texture, to the smell and taste, to the melting point. It does pretty well in creaming method as well. I was very pleased! And it costs half the price of real butter!

I am still using blocked margarine. It may not be cupcake and bread friendly, but it works for me for brownies, revel bars, and even for cooking. 


Conclusion:
Butter wins over margarine in baking. Butter compound is a good substitute but I still highly suggest to use real butter. 
Thanks!


xoxo,
Stepp

5 comments:

  1. Is the the golden brown salted or unsalted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. salted i think cause it has iodized salt in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it stable, dos it hold shape when used in buttercream frosting or any frosting like crisco does. Please suggest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ihts ok i used it for baking brownies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do i still need to add salt if i use golden crown butter compound.

    ReplyDelete