Butterscotch Meringue Bars


Whenever I hear the word butterscotch, the first thing, or rather, taste I imagine is Max's caramel bars. I guess every Filipino would agree with me that its the best among the best. Sadly, this post is not related to it. I have used up so much energy already just to mimic Max's version but nothing came close to it; so in this post, I shall share to you guys a recipe I've always used and got good reviews of. Then again, this recipe is not close to Max's caramel bars. Just making things clear. :) HAHA

I forgot where I got this recipe from. As much as I'd like to give credit to it, I really can't find the link anymore. Anyways, I've revised the recipe to better suit my taste buds.



The original recipe called for much sugar and the beating methods, where in my case, I lessened the sugar and used browned butter. Browned butter is basically butter cooked in a pan till it turned brown. It results to a nutty/ smokey flavor. ( That's how I'd like to describe it haha). 

Here's how:

Ingredients:

Base:
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter
a hand full of white chocolate chips
a hand full of chopped walnuts, slightly roasted

Meringue:
1 large egg white
1/8 cup / 2 tbsp brown sugar
a pinch of cream of tartar

Procedure:
Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 8x8 inch pan
1. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda and salt*. Set aside.
2. In low heat, melt butter in a sauce pan till brown, don't cook too long though. Let cool.
3. Using just a wooden spoon, add brown sugar and white sugar to cooled butter.
4. Add the egg yolk and mix till well incorporated, then add vanilla extract
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and fold gently.
6. Toss in the white chocolate chips and walnuts
7. In another clean metal bowl, beat egg white till foamy.
8. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat on high speed till really frothy.
9. Gradually add the brown sugar to the egg white. Don't throw all in at the same time. A tbsp at a time does the trick.
10. Continue to beat till stiff peaks.
11. Fill the pan with butter mixture then spread the meringue. Be sure to use a spatula to even it out.
12. Bake for 25- 30 mins or until the meringue forms a crust and inserted skewer comes with moist crumbs. Don't over cook. Let cool and cut into bars. :)

Notes:
Be sure you use brown sugar for the meringue, trust me, it'll turn out so so much better.

Happy baking! :)

xoxo,
Stepp







No comments:

Post a Comment